about*dallyings

...domestic*dallyings is a blog dedicated to all things a domestic goddess should know - here you will find all my love, interests & inspirations. whether it's the desire to cook a meal that warms your soul, the need to create something lovely, or simply browse for inspiration, let domestic*dallyings be your inspiration. by browsing the *dallyings* going on around my home [whether it be in my kitchen, my crafting, or even my web searching] i hope to inspire the domestic goddess that lives in all of us...

Tuesday, August 30

asian*cucumber*salad

Hello, lovelies!


I sure do hope that you had a terrific Tuesday :) 


I wanted to share this recipe that we had for dinner with you - as you may recall from last night, I promised you some delish recipes that will help you make full use of an overabundance of fresh, garden produce. I don't know about you, but lately I've been finding myself with more squash/cukes etc. that I know what to do with. So, while trying to think up dinner ideas for last night (yes, I know that I am a day behind, but bear with me...I'm new at all this!!) I thought to myself...


"SELF!! (because this is how I refer to myself as) What if you made a cold cucumber salad?? Those three beauties you have sitting in the veggie basket are just asking to be marinated and tossed with some veggies!"


lightbulb.


So I made excellent use of my time at work google searching ideas and methods, and landed upon this little one. Mixed with a little bit of domestic*goddess*ingenuity, I think that I may have produced a winner.


asian*cucumber*salad
adapted from food.com
serves 4


what you need:
-2 to 3 cucumbers - I had 2 big ones, but 3 mediums/4 small would yield you about the same [you get the -picture]
-generous sprinkle of kosher salt


-1 medium pepper [I used a yellow bell, because that's what looked best at the store yesterday]


for the sauce:
-1 clove of garlic, minced
-3 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
-1 tsp. red wine vinegar [or to taste]
-1 tsp. sugar
-dashes of chili powder and cayenne pepper, to taste
-salt&pepper, to taste


how to:
1. slice the cucumbers in half lengthwise, then use a spoon to remove the seeds.


while you're at it, might as well slice up that pretty pepper too!
2. Place the cucumber slices into a colander over a bowl or sink, sprinkle with a good amount of salt (1-2 teaspoons) and let drain for 10-15 minutes.

adios, excess water!
3. Make your sauce:
In a bowl large enough to [later] hold the veggies, whisk together the garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, S&P, 
chili powder, and cayenne. Set aside until you're ready to add the veggies.
 
tasty!
4. Once the cukes have set for 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly with cold water and pat dry.

5. Toss the cukes and yellow bell with the sauce, and let sit [for marinating purposes] for roughly 10 minutes...


...or until you're ready for dinner. YUM. 


I served this showstopper of a salad with my zesty yellow*squash*fritters...recipe to come later kids, the engineer's belated birthday celebration has the remainder of my evening. Look for the fritter recipe later on, I promise it'll be worth it!


cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment